Ideas

Got an idea? Post it here. If it's detailed, feasible and fits with the games theme. It might make it into the game!

Ideas

Postby Vuk Farkas » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:32 am

Now i played various voxel games, and the best one i ran into so far was the "From the Depths". And i love one thing they did there... ya can make anything from canons to rockets to engines by placing blocks properly. Now i see Jammer did an interesting thing with the dispersion generators (or whatever they're called) they need to be part of an enclosed area (reservoir)... which is a step towards custom machines!
Then i thought ... if Jammer can make the game function with custom reservoirs... he could implement custom steam engines!
Basically size of the reservoir would determine capacity/volume that can be used, number of boilers/furnaces would determine the speed steam is created (and is limited by available volume), and finally the number of steam engines would determine consumption of steam and production of power for the ship(limited by volume and speed of the steam production)! Boilers would need to be attached to or part of the reservoir (like in the case of dispersion generators). Example reservoir with capacity of 1 or 3 blocks can fully supply a boiler which can fully supply 1 or 2 steam engines (the entire point of this steam machine being better usage of fuel for amount of power generated at the cost of space) Steam engines would have to be directly connected to the boiler or another steam engine (thus avoiding the need for pipe blocks for now)
Also we could use some infinite energy (at least as a backup) generators... we could use like solar cells... made from like (maybe hard) glass and copper and cores... lets say size 3X3 blocks that produces 100 power (preferably only during the day) or like each block of solar cell produces 10 power. This would make them kinda expensive but worthwhile.
Customizable on/off block basically a block that acts as an on/off switch for parts of the ship we assign to it (example turn on/off all engines or generators) because really, running around clicking on each damn generator and engine (especially on big ships where ya got dozens of them) can be confusing.
Another item we could use is... well sort of a crate or addon between the crate and the ship or generators. Basically in big ships ya have to run to each generator and feed it, which turns you into a slave to the generators if ya like to use planks as fuel (i tend to use tree farms on ship for my fuel, that way i never run out of it). Now i saw lasers can put things they mined in chests, then why not have a block that feeds fuel from chests to generators? Would save us of excessive running to generators and trying to find which of the dozen gens ran out of fuel! (this could also be used to feed the boilers for steam machine)
Now we really could use the ability to make batches of items... spam clicking hurts our fingers, abuses our mice, and is time consuming (don't get me started on miss-clicks). One of the solutions would be to like click and hold on the item ya wanna craft or like press a certain button and then click on it, a menu pops up how much we wanna craft, we input the number, then press ok/craft/make (it would be a lifesaver for people like me who use planks for fuel... seriously i need stacks of planks just to hop a few systems)
Another thing which could be done is if we wont have more tiers of items... or upgrade the existing items... we could have like grouping... umm how to word it... example we got engines but if we put 4 next to each other so they form a square (or 8 to form a block) they merge into one big engine that is same power (but uses less energy) or slightly more powerful (but uses same energy). This could be applied to generators and such items too.
And i got one question... why does glass no longer let the laser through? before lasers were able to collect mined blocks, they did pass through glass (i used to separate each laser and lense block with a glass block to see the colour change of the beam as it passes through the lenses, the glass block was there to protect players from contact with the beam)
That's it for now,maybe gonna add more later!
I just got an insane idea ... electrocution! We already have it in the game... but as a hand weapon... imagine it on ships! Simplest thing i can think of is one block which uses insane ammounts of power when activated... sends electricity throu any conected metal, which shocks player in conctact with electrified metal. This would make an effective anti boarding weapon (damn how many times i had unwanted stowaways) or to get rid of unwanted pests... Because of insane ammounts of power it uses it cant be used constantly and ya gonna need quite a power reserve to sustain it for just seconds. But it can also leave you deffencless when yer power is drained (as ships need power to even move) This would make players use metal not only as armor but as deffence too, but they need to be carefull... not to make everythin out of metal... no need to BBQ themselves X3 (thus forcing to make isolated rooms or sacrifice armor for safe-room or at least floor...) This would basically mean that a ship made to ward off boarding parties will probably lack proper defense against ships (again depending on ship design).
Last edited by Vuk Farkas on Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vuk Farkas

Re: Ideas

Postby WILDCATreactor » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:39 am

Vuk Farkas wrote:Now i played various voxel games, and the best one i ran into so far was the "From the Depths". And i love one thing they did there... ya can make anything from canons to rockets to engines by placing blocks properly. Now i see Jammer did an interesting thing with the dispersion generators (or whatever they're called) they need to be part of an enclosed area (reservoir)... which is a step towards custom machines!

Then i thought ... if Jammer can make the game function with custom reservoirs... he could implement custom steam engines!
Basically size of the reservoir would determine capacity/volume that can be used, number of boilers/furnaces would determine the speed steam is created (and is limited by available volume), and finally the number of steam engines would determine consumption of steam and production of power for the ship(limited by volume and speed of the steam production)! Boilers would need to be attached to or part of the reservoir (like in the case of dispersion generators). Example reservoir with capacity of 1 or 3 blocks can fully supply a boiler which can fully supply 1 or 2 steam engines (the entire point of this steam machine being better usage of fuel for amount of power generated at the cost of space) Steam engines would have to be directly connected to the boiler or another steam engine (thus avoiding the need for pipe blocks for now)

Also we could use some infinite energy (at least as a backup) generators... we could use like solar cells... made from like (maybe hard) glass and copper and cores... lets say size 3X3 blocks that produces 100 power (preferably only during the day) or like each block of solar cell produces 10 power. This would make them kinda expensive but worthwhile.
Customizable on/off block basically a block that acts as an on/off switch for parts of the ship we assign to it (example turn on/off all engines or generators) because really, running around clicking on each damn generator and engine (especially on big ships where ya got dozens of them) can be confusing.

Another item we could use is... well sort of a crate or addon between the crate and the ship or generators. Basically in big ships ya have to run to each generator and feed it, which turns you into a slave to the generators if ya like to use planks as fuel (i tend to use tree farms on ship for my fuel, that way i never run out of it). Now i saw lasers can put things they mined in chests, then why not have a block that feeds fuel from chests to generators? Would save us of excessive running to generators and trying to find which of the dozen gens ran out of fuel! (this could also be used to feed the boilers for steam machine)

Now we really could use the ability to make batches of items... spam clicking hurts our fingers, abuses our mice, and is time consuming (don't get me started on miss-clicks). One of the solutions would be to like click and hold on the item ya wanna craft or like press a certain button and then click on it, a menu pops up how much we wanna craft, we input the number, then press ok/craft/make (it would be a lifesaver for people like me who use planks for fuel... seriously i need stacks of planks just to hop a few systems)

Another thing which could be done is if we wont have more tiers of items... or upgrade the existing items... we could have like grouping... umm how to word it... example we got engines but if we put 4 next to each other so they form a square (or 8 to form a block) they merge into one big engine that is same power (but uses less energy) or slightly more powerful (but uses same energy). This could be applied to generators and such items too.

And i got one question... why does glass no longer let the laser through? before lasers were able to collect mined blocks, they did pass through glass (i used to separate each laser and lense block with a glass block to see the colour change of the beam as it passes through the lenses, the glass block was there to protect players from contact with the beam)
That's it for now,maybe gonna add more later!

Parsed that tower for ya, Chief.

I like the idea of solar panels, but I have no idea if they fit the schizotech theme.

Having a "activate connected devices" button/panel would be really nice, even if there's an upper limit to how many device blocks it can connect to (say 6) that would turn my 24-laser strip miner from 48 activations into 8. it would have similar applications to galleons that mount impressive arrays of cannon. BUT, it does let fewer people crew more complicated ships with less investment, so I can see the logic in avoiding that sort of time-saving solution to promote more player interaction.

Steam engines drawing FROM a reservoir tank to power the boiler is also interesting, but that implies adding water to the game- BUT if they were efficient as a power setup, I could see players fighting over access to places where water collects, possibly making the island biomes valuable as turreted claims or manned outposts
-Don't mind me, I just can't stop thinking-
WILDCATreactor

Postby Vuk Farkas » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:52 pm

I think ya miss-understood the steam machine.... reservoir is merely a space, boilers use fuel to heat up the reservoir contents and steam engines attached to boilers/reservoir draw heated steam (we don't need water in game for now, as any air heated expands)
We already can make reservoirs in the game, we can use mass generators as furnaces/boilers, we would only need one new block the steam engine, and maybe later a generator that would additionally boost energy produced when attached to steam engine. This as a result is wery space consuming, unpractical on small ships,maybe even medium ones, but a worthy improvement on big ships.

In RL there are many types of steam engines but imma limit myself on 2. One type heats up the entire reservoir(boiler) then steam is used by the engine (heating up large ammounts of water at once is slow and time consuming), the other type is a bit better, but needs more parts... the reservoir merely holds water, which is pumped or somehow else forced into the boiler (which is often just bunch of pipes) so instead of heating huge ammounts of water with big fire... ya heat small ammounts quickly and easily (with less fire than the previous example) often making superheated steam, which is then used by the engine. Basically first type is simple steam machine, second type is more economical (and safer instead of whole reservoir going boom only the small boiler does) but has more parts thus uses more space. (i could go on and on i am actually experienced with steam engines and other mechanics,pneumatics, and hydraulics but i wont bore ya to death)
Vuk Farkas

Postby Vuk Farkas » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:33 pm

I had another idea of a block that would be easy to make i think. A Turret block! Basically a block that when placed on floor/ceiling will rotate slowly on a horizontal level, but if placed on wall then it would go on vertical level! this way we got a simple block that cause of its limitations is balanced, but allows us to make complex things useful for mining, and war. We could make a Turret control block that would control assigned turrets, thus still requiring teamwork to use those, or to choose between control of a turret or ship. Some creative minds will make doors too with them i guess (good for carriers and bases). This wont only improve gameplay with a mere block or two but open up many possiblities!
Vuk Farkas

Postby WILDCATreactor » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:27 am

RE:Steam Engine: oh, yeah, I guess that works

RE:Turrets: That would allow smaller builds on turrets, but my ship-in-a-ship method works pretty fine.
-Don't mind me, I just can't stop thinking-
WILDCATreactor

Postby Vuk Farkas » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:29 am

New stuff to add! Now i know we all yapped about hooks and harpoons, but i thought of a way to balance them... hooks for players... range 10 blocks, takes second or so to reach max length, ballistic physics and can hook players as well dealing 10 dmg on impact (basically can be used to drag enemy away, or like a weak weapon, or to even pickup a crewmate than went owerboard). Now for the harpoon... ballistic physics, range 25 blocks or maximal ships length, twice as slow as the hand version, also requires bigger arc for max reach, we could use the existing turreted cannon (just slap a harpoon head in front, after all some harpoons were launched from cannons) deals 25-50 dmg if hits player (and yes drags the player too). I really wish i had one when the storm started so i could have anchored myself safely (but i barely escaped don't ask me how i jumped). Ideally both devices should be able to retract,extend and release (left click fire / extend,right click retract, double left release). Harpoons would also be great to pull ships out of jump gates, would make the job a lot easyer, and to haul (yes we have clamps but sometimes we need some flexibility like train).
Another thought of mine was buttons... instead of having a button for each damn thing, just one button, which can be set to control certain type of blocks (engines, generators, lights, lasers maybe even cannons, etc), then some way to know in what state the button is (on/off) preferably by some universally known symbol (0 / 1 comes to mind), and i hope we can also customize said buttons to activate only the devices we tell them to... i don't wanna run all of my generators i don't need full power all the time (only when using lasers).
RAMMING yes i desperately want this... i wanna make rammers...biremes and triremes hehhe, well basically just add collision damage, where forces depend on weight and speed (ya can use whats already in the game for that) a RAM or just a spike that specializes in damage (like twice the HP than the best armor, enough damage to destroy the strongest armor with maximum speed and weight of 1000). The said melee weapon should be 1 block thick and 3 blocks long, very heavy and reasonably expensive (10 steel and 10 titanium?) now we should also add something to prevent ships from being damaged by mere bumps or even give them full immunity to collision damage... rubber blocks! (seen a game with that already) bassicaly rubber blocks would be immune to collision but fragile to any other form of damage (being shot for example)
Another thing i miss a lot is ...lasers used to be able to go through glass!!! why has that been changed? now i cant use lasers in combat almost at all and i loved to BBQ pirates in their iron clads... i also used to put glass in between the laser and the lenses to see the colours change while safely walking ower the beams! The only exception to the penetrating ability of the laser among glass/windows should be the shutters (but only when shut closed). I really miss the laser-ship battles we used to have. And seeing how many ships today have more glass than metal armor... would be fun again to make people think twice between more visibility or protection (oh i forgot we need like a button to close/open shutters at once) as it was before.
Horizontal doors! hatches whatever ya call them one block in size (could be vertically applied too i guess) so we can yanno peek/exit from our ships like from a tank or from bellow like from a sub, sorely needed thing would be also good for trap doors! and if usable vertically too, good for peek holes,usable to shoot someone too, since its metal door would stop laser beams... imagine a trap where laser is pointed at the door... intruder opens it.... to be "beamed" to death ahhaha
More equipment slots, also a way to have both jet pack and parachute (or combine them into one) for example when jetpack runs outta power pressin space again would deploy the parachute. Also more equipment equipable onto the character like body armor (or at least torso armor) and a bag which would increase carry capacity. This could be all balanced by limiting how many items can a character carry at once by limiting slots... example 2 slots... people can use either the parachute and jetpack /or the combined expensive thing, armor or bag, thus makin some balance (or ya can let us have it all at once for all i care), but if limited people would have to choose between carry capacity, protection, mobility, but also be able to highly specialize (like carrying two bags, or two armors) leaving them vurnerable to things they are not equipped for (example a guy with 2 bags or armors, wont have jetpack/parachute leaving them pretty much dead/stranded in certain situations)
We could also really use more player weapons... the prod seems like a point blank melee weapon, we could use a cutlass or somethin that has 1block better range (but for example cutlass to be almoust negated by someone wearing armor, but prod still works (if not better) on someone wearin metal armor on them).Now we all know and love our shotgun, but lets face it it lacks range and we have a timey reload... we need somethin more, like a rifle that has like 1.5-2 times the range of the shotgun, is a lot more precise (can be a musket or a semiauto, maybe even a tube-magazine winchester with lever-action) if its a musket it should have at least twice as long reload as the shotty if its a winchester it could hold 10 bullets, but reloading takes time, because ya have to compress the spring,open the tube, load bullet(s), release the spring (yes early models worked that way). One weapon would be really apreciated by players with bad aim like me... smg, we have ship MG which are basically heavy MGs, so we just need LMGs or more apropriately smgs! in case of LMGs we could have 50-100 ammo capacity (real ones can have hundreds more) but takes really long to reload (damn that drum magazine/belt and all the cockin and stuff) have a high recoil, so only burst of fire are useful, and will force player to take aim each time after every burst, and in case of the smg 25-30 ammo capacity (while real versions could easily have 70+) we could take the more precise, but slower fire rate, with longer range, double magazine MP-40 (yes the real thing had two magazines) compared to my favourite PPSh-41 aka "burp gun" with drum mag, was pretty much a close quarter weapon for cleanups, with insane fire-rate, but sacrificed range and precision (also went through ammo like mad with like 1000 rpm (or more) and a drum mag of mere 71 rounds), or somethin really scrappy... grease gun/sten gun... pretty much a thing plumber would put together to make a smg, that spits bulets from its (20-30 round) magazine, about as far as someone can actually spit hahaha, with utterly slow fire rate. While the LMG should have near same dmg as the MG, the lmg should be half the dmg of the MG... so if MG is 100% LMG should be like 75-80% and smg should be 50% or less.
Head gear... we desperately need this just a helmet that is armor, but can be upgraded so it can have light, yanno like miners helmet, so we can protect our heads in combat and have light when we need it for mining or seein' where the hell is our steering wheel, when we don't want to turn the light on at night so enemy doesn't see us shinin' like a friggin' flare. Light could be turned on/off with a button assigned on keyboard.
Most of things mentioned here are ideas proposed by others before but i thought of goin into more detail and assemblin it in one spot. Also ya will have to forgive the errors and cussin been typin this in mornin, sleepy, while havin my eyesight blurry.
Vuk Farkas

Postby Vanto » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:19 pm

I like some of these ideas even though it was not that pleasant to read. Anyways I would love to see multi block ground and ship machines for refining ores and so on. As you have mention something like multi block engines would be interesting to see as well, I would like to see ship design playing a larger part in combat current. This would also open up a new window where you can make more efficient machines or maybe ones that are less efficient but fast?
Vanto

Return to Suggestions