The Resurrection of Sky Nations Improvement List

Got an idea? Post it here. If it's detailed, feasible and fits with the games theme. It might make it into the game!

The Resurrection of Sky Nations Improvement List

Postby JonJohn11 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:12 am

Read the message in General Discussion first.
1: The warp system needs to be removed, its just dumb, its completely ruins emersion, limits player interaction and the capitals defeat the purpose of pvp, I much preferred wandering around collecting rescources, avoiding missiles, and running into the occasional ship.

2: Respawn points need to be put on ships. It is so pointless to do ship combat if your character is so fragile, It was much more fun boarding ships that are so broken they can't move, rather than than getting sniped by whatever or crushed and losing everything, the enemy getting a new ship in practically mint condition, the teleport thing is cool, but really inconvient.

3: Material collecting is a pain, especially from scraping metal ships that can't be lasered, simply put, there needs to be a hand held hammer or drill that can quickly pick up metal and ore.

4: Defence guns were a scary thing, they have been improved on but I have only seen 1 of them (another reason for point 1) It was so much fun planning assaults on bases trying to steal ships and loot with minimal loss. And always being on edge that you could be taken over at any time was a great reason to build up an "army" to defend your base, or assault others

5: Nations were amazing in the old days, as a member of the long forgotten Indie Army, it was so fun to defend our base from constant attacks, always being on guard, having collectors get iron to build ships to fight back. Now, the most powerful nation, (The Blue Sun) I have never EVER seen one of there ships or people because of the capital system, the only ship I have seen was the Titan Supreme, which was stolen through the teleport thing by rat (lol)

6: Obviously, Indie the streamer brought a lot of attention to sky nations, he served his purpose of getting the population here, then all of a sudden shortly after he left, one by one the servers went down. This was because the population was spread around on to many different servers and some admins were corrupt. (ultimately leading to indie leaving) The solution is simple. Have only 1 server. If the population ever comes back, open com 2, then 3, etc.

7: Listen to community suggestions, if its not broken, don't fix it. When you added the warp system and removed the ship spawn points, what was already the crippled population had about half of the people left, simply because there computers couldn't handle it or they didn't like the changes.

8: Sky Nations is an Indie game, most people play indie games because they are cheap, run smoothly, and work on almost any old potato computer. Sky nations, is expensive (indie game standards), runs terribly, and I can barely run it on my rig, which is no potato.

9: If the warp system was removed, (also removing ore balls) making it alot harder to get ore, and makes syphon miners worth making. There could be a tracker that gives a proximity to the nearest syphon miner, you have to search the area to find it, being carful to avoid missles, this also makes pvp more popular, easier to make contact with nations, etc.

Honestly if you can't remove the warp system, you should go back to a build before it, Although good things have been added, a lot of bad things were added too. I hope you do something about this game that once was popular and can be again. Thanks -JonJohn11
Last edited by JonJohn11 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonJohn11

Re: The Resurrection of Sky Nations Improvement List

Postby JonJohn11 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:15 pm

A straw poll on the map of sky nations. vvvv

http://www.strawpoll.me/5770559
JonJohn11

Postby MrBenjammin » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:55 pm

Just thought I'd chime in on the warp system. This won't be changed. The old open world made the server run incredibly slow, it'd be especially slow now we use a full physics engine which benefits hugely from a world neatly separated and we're too far away from it to ever reimplement. I think people remember it through a bit of a nostalgia lense. Dealing with a world which can load up dynamically like that and having ships that can move fast enough to constantly cause new chunks to load made the server really chug and made ship battles laggy at best. It also scaled very badly to players seperately exploring, it would only take 10 or so players in different areas moving at a speed to bring it down to being unplayable. As well as creating various player end problems, this made the game for many unplayable, especially for those lower bandwidth connections or at best put them at such a significant disadvantage. This is because at all times as you were moving the game would be streaming in terrain data as you crossed over sector borders, which had a chance to momentarily drop the server frames for very dense buildings, but more importantly effect players with lower internet bandwidth very badly as the data was sent to them, which gave people very spikey latency in a semi-unpredictable manor. Fights would instantly turn due to a team loading a new set sector of chunks and the unpredictability made them very frustrating(not that we didn't have some cool fights back then!). The other massive problem it created was basically no one would run into each other at all and would just pick a border of the map and sit there. I actually tracked some statistics for various things at various points for Community 1, we had more unaffiliated players(players with no previous relationship) encountering each other in the first month of the systems map than 3 months of the open world map.

When I developed the system sector style map I asked everyone who was playing at the time both on here, youtube, teamspeak, steam, and in-game to really make sure it was the right decision and very large majority agreed to it. It meant zones are loaded once for players when they enter it, reducing latency issues, the server overall could run significantly faster and more predictable, there was congestion points at gates/closer to spawn/boss battles where it is likely to see players and capturing mechanics are more defined(as previously in the open world many would accidentally run into defenses and die even with the EWDS block) and biomes could be a lot more complex as they can be pregenerated ahead of time and the exact information of its where abouts and how much physical space and a guarantee of no surrounding biome loaded so the game can devote a lot more memory/gpu/cpu resources on the client to an individual biome. Where as if you recall large biomes like valleys, for example in the previous open world it was really hit and miss based on the surrounding area if the performance would be any good when travelling through them and say a biome like the Ice biomes, which are huge dense landmasses were really not viable. You can also add to existing maps fairly easily throughout development without restarting the map, like we have on the Community ones for newer biomes as peoples structures are obviously super important.

The decision as then, still makes a lot of sense now and I stand by it. Usually I don't like to answer suggestions if I'm just going to say "no". People take their suggestions very personally, as they're very passionate about the game(which is great!) and my intent here isn't to put you down in anyway or insult you or anything like that, so please don't get the wrong end of the stick. <3

Just thought it'd be a good idea to mention the whys. It's very easy to remember the good times of the open world map, but if we still had it. SN wouldn't of barely progressed from where it was and at best the server would of got slower with the mechanics we have now.
Developer of Sky Nations
@MrBenjammmin
MrBenjammin
Site Admin

Postby WILDCATreactor » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:58 pm

Now the only issue is visually navigating the map.
-Don't mind me, I just can't stop thinking-
WILDCATreactor

Postby Kliphr3a » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:27 am

After reading this, the one thing i do agree with is removing Capitals, especially with the deconstructor now in the game.

Right now, Claims really have no purpose as long as capitals exist in the game, and while its nice to have a safe haven for your items and such, you could easily make a bank system to prevent any loss of rarities such as magmasite trophies and stuff. It would create enough risk/reward value for pvp, and with the deconstructor, it would limit your opponents gains.

either that, or make capitals accessible from the outside with pre-made defense systems, so players can interact still to a degree at least.
Kliphr3a

Postby WILDCATreactor » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:42 am

Why not just make it an option as part of the jump drive?

That is, jump your ship out of the game world into a "hyperspace" save zone that doesn't interact. Now that we can clamp ships together and create operational metaships, Capitals could be made defunct and put players into the frame of a roving base of operations that they use their jump drive to remove from the game when they log out. The only problem would be in needing to jump them back into the world on a random adjacent system to prevent pirates from 'hyperspace fishing' their marks.
-Don't mind me, I just can't stop thinking-
WILDCATreactor

Postby Vuk Farkas » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:03 pm

the "new" map with sections instead of an open world like the old map sure does indeed have big performance impact, however most of them are tiny and empty, visual navigation is impossible, the storm thing that creates clumps of ores is not working cause ships collide with terrain (thus ya have for example a sphere with gazzilion ships on it and its looks like a damn sea urchin, that map section becomes cluttered and laggy, an eyesore) If ya ask me Capitols are ok, however main reason players don't interact is because they chose to, i mean ya can buy whatever from the merchant cat or at spawn, teleport back to capitol, have your generators make fuel... not only ya have almoust no need to leave the capitol, the risks are simply not worth it! Leave for what besides trading? Nearly everywhere ya go its either barren or an eyesore, ya can be easily blown up (especially if someone copies my gatling design) there is usually nothing left to mine or scavenge for, there is no scenery ya could go to see and say "wow that looks awesome"! I know how to solve the storm issue... When a ship is not powered (not using engines) and is affected by the storm, when storm tries to make the ore it should delete those ships, instead of leaving them stuck into terrain like an eyesore and no ore as a result! Another thing that would make players leave capitols is terrain regeneration! Unclaimed territories should be feral, wild, and change and regenerate! Basically biome stays the same just it changes slightly and regenerates most of itself. New interactable stuff would be nice, and somethin else for wildlife besides magmazites or whatever they are called. This way people will actually have a reason more than trading or raiding (or just showing off their ships at spawn) to leave their capitols! Before capitols and this new map i could easily see from ice ships, to iron clads, from specialized miners to what i called "social ships" imagine a ship made to look pretty and like sort of a bar for people to hang out) i myself even made mobile tree farms (which are now unpractical because trees grow so slow its a pain). Now ofc people back then were lacking capitols, were forced to manage with what they had (no NPC traders) but also were not damn lazy either! Now if i ever see a ship (no i dont count a gazzilion of those griefed abandoned starter ships) its purely made just for the looks, to show off, nearly always made completely from metal, with 0 practicality in mind (honour to the exceptions)
To see a design thats actually made to serve some practical purpose decently is rare.
To sum it all up... we need less lazy more creative peeps, and stimulating enviroment! so far both are opposite of that!
Vuk Farkas

Return to Suggestions